I'll give you the details in a moment of how the headshot above was taken, but first, here's a list of the gear that was used.
Canon 5D Mark III
Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 Lens
Dark Gray Seamless 9ft Wide Paper Background
Profoto B2 With One Head
Profoto OCF Silver Beauty Dish
Profoto Air TTL Trigger
Standard Silver Reflector
Please keep in mind that it's not always about the gear. You should do the best that you can with the gear that you have. I know a photographer that has a Canon 70D, a portable Wescott 26 inch rapid box that works with a speedlite and other gear that he could use to mimic this shot. I will admit that I love the light produced by the Profoto B2, but don't get hung up on the gear.
You'll find the details below of how this shot was setup and taken:
1) The subject is about 7 feet from the background which helps the background be a little darker because of less spill over light from the beauty dish.
2) The camera was set on manual at 200ISO, at 1/125th shutter speed and f/2.8 was the lens setting. I was about 6 feet from the subject.
3) The beauty dish was to my left, just over 6 feet high and pointing down toward the subject which is why you see the right side of the subjects face lit more. There was a silver reflector to the subjects left adding some fill light to keep the shadow from being as harsh and dark as it would have been without the reflector providing some fill light.
If you have any questions, please email me at David [@] DWPPC [dot] com. Please feel free to connect with me on Social Media:
If you enjoyed this post, please use the social icons below to SHARE IT.
Latest posts by David Williams (see all)
- Black and White Film Shot Of Our Golden Retriever: Trigger - February 2, 2022
- January 22, 2022 – North Carolina Snow Images Shot In Franklin County - January 22, 2022
- Taking A Leap Of Faith: Hiring Your First Employee As A Creative - January 21, 2022
- Canon R3 High ISO 12800 to 102400 Test: Before & After ON1 NoNoise AI - January 17, 2022
- Canon Pro-2100 – 24 Inch Printer Is In The House At RTP Photo And Video - January 16, 2022