I visited my local Harbor Freight Tools store to find the large carabiner pictured on the left. It was only $5.99, but the carabiner serves a very useful purpose as you can see.
Do-It-Yourself Photo Tips
I'm not a huge fan of a lot of DIY photography tips that I have come across like building my own LED light. However, a videographer friend of mine built an amazing JIB that I thought was commercially purchased. So if your DIY work looks and works that good, I say go for it.
In this case, I simply purchased several $5.99 carabiners to use on various stands as you see pictured on the left. You'll also see two smaller carabiners in the image. This setup as worked out very well for me so far. It allows me to put a pack like the Profoto B2 250 Air TTL Power Pack that you see pictured which although lightweight does give additional sturdiness to the bottom of a stand especially the very small and very portable Manfrotto 5001B 74 Inch Stand pictured to the left.
My personal take on any do-it-yourself projects is to try and make it look good and not like it was thrown together with no thought using a lot of duct tape. FYI, my wife and daughters think I'm the duct tape king and it does work well for certain things.
Side Notes: If you need a small, lightweight portable light stand, the Manfrotto 5001B 74 Inch Stand is the best one that I know of. It's not cheap at around $60, but experience has taught me that cheap stands are often a waste of money. Also, if you have never heard of Harbor Freight Tools, you may want to see if there is one in your area. You'll find a lot of affordable items that you can use both personally and professionally.
Latest posts by David Williams (see all)
- Canon C300 Mark II – Cannon Tutorials Plus Two Bonus Videos - August 13, 2017
- Functions Of The Canon 5D Mark IV – 4 Part Video Series - August 13, 2017
- Getting The Canon 5D Mark IV – Several Months After The Release - June 17, 2017
- Attracting & Retaining The Right Clients For Your Photography and/or Video Business - February 16, 2017
- Your Photography & Video Pricing Strategy For 2017 In The Raleigh NC Market - January 15, 2017